nanog mailing list archives

Re: ICMPv6 PTBs and IPv6 frag filtering (particularly at BGP peers)

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2017 13:14:50 +1100

In message <CAG6TeAt5pZJzoU0qDeTHgWEETnnib3hOLg-=bCv_1MBZJbew1g () mail gmail com>
, Fernando Gont writes:
El 12/1/2017 16:32, "Saku Ytti" <saku () ytti fi> escribi=C3=B3:

On 12 January 2017 at 17:02, Fernando Gont <fgont () si6networks com> wrote:
That's the point: If you don't allow fragments, but your peer honors
ICMPv6 PTB<1280, then dropping fragments creates the attack vector.

Thanks. I think I got it now. Best I can offer is that B could try to
verify the embedded original packet? Hopefully attacker won't have
access to that information. An if attacker has access to that
information, they may as well do TCP RST, right?

Didn't we have same issues in IPv4 with ICMP unreachable and frag
neeeded, DF set? And vendors implemented more verification if the ICMP
message should be accepted.

Yes and no.

1) there was no way in v4 to trigger use of fragmentation for an arbitrary
flow.

2) in v4 you were guaranteed to get the IP+TCP header in the ICMP payload.
In ipv6, you aren't (think ipv6 EHs)

So drop the packet if you don't get to the end of the extension
headers in the ICMPv6 payload.  Has anyone, except in testing, seen
a extension header chain that was not fully containable in the
ICMPv6 payload?

Mark

Thanks,
Fernando
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org