nanog mailing list archives

Re: 40G and 100G optics options

From: Brandon Butterworth <brandon () rd bbc co uk>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 18:03:48 +0000

On Mon Dec 18, 2017 at 06:01:39PM +0100, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
What options are available for 40G QSFP+ and 100G QSFP28 for 10+ km links?

LR4 and weak ER4 (flexoptix were trying to get a 40km part out,
only 25km has emerged so far) then you're into coherent stuff in
a separate box (which per 100G doesn't cost a lot more than the ER4's)

I need stronger modules that can do more than 10 km without being
extremely expensive. Or DWDM modules in the 1550 nm band so I can use
external amplifiers.

We use 1310 amplifiers for now, originally these

http://www.hubersuhner.com/en/solutions/cube-optics/products/active-systems/metro-transport/soa-semiconductor-optical-amplifier-unit-c-250

but there is a fibrestore version too now
https://www.fs.com/products/69350.html

Am I looking in the wrong place? Is this expected
to be available in the near future?

Eventually there will be something once they can make
it fit in qsfp package size and power limits.

brandon