nanog mailing list archives

Re: Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

From: Tom Carter <m1enrage () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 15:48:49 -0700

RFC1918 isn't big enough to cover all use cases. Think about a large
internet service providers. If you have ten million customers, 10.0.0.0/8
would be enough to number modems, but what happens when you need to number
video set top boxes and voice end points? I don't think anyone goes out and
says "Lets go use someone else's space, because I don't want to use this
perfectly good private space".