nanog mailing list archives

Re: Companies using public IP space owned by others for internal routing

From: James Downs <egon () egon cc>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 14:57:28 -0800

On Dec 17, 2017, at 14:33, Matt Hoppes <mattlists () rivervalleyinternet net> wrote:

Had a previous employee or I discovered it on the network segment after we had some weird routing issues and had to
get that cleaned up. I don't know why anyone would do that when there is tons of private IP space.

Unless there isn't.. I've worked at more than one company that had used up all the private space. Then you have the
cases where some M&A causes overlapping IP space. In addition, you'd also be surprised how many people just assign the
entire 10/8 space into a flat IP space.

-j