nanog mailing list archives

Re: Novice sysadmins

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2017 08:25:13 -0800

On 12/05/2017 08:17 AM, Harald Koch wrote:
Thirty years ago I started my sysadmin journey on an Internet that was
filled with helpful, experienced people that were willing to share their
knowledge.

Twenty years ago I was one of three people running CA*net, the
cross-Canada research Internet with three connections to the NSFnet. I
don't remember this world of banishment and exile you're discussing; the
NSFnet staff I dealt with were all friendly and helpful.

I plan to continue to "pay it forward", by being friendly and helpful
to "novice sysadmins". The curmudgeons in this thread can, frankly, get off
my lawn.

Exactly right. If there were some high priesthood for being able to put stuff on the net, there would be no net
as we know it. This is a feature, not a bug.

Mike