nanog mailing list archives

Re: Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 22:25:13 -0800

On 12/04/2017 02:06 PM, Grant Taylor via NANOG wrote:
Namely, when I ran my server at home, it took a search warrant to legally enter my house to access the server, which I would be immediately made aware of.  I can't say the same with the same degree of certainty for a server located in a co-location facility.

It takes a search warrant for co-located gear, but the warrants I received as a rack monkey at a Web hosting company were served on the company, not on the customer, and those warrants included gag orders -- I could not inform the customer that his equipment had its hard disk copied. (Now THERE's a story, but you will have to by me beer to hear it.)

Mail tap orders? Same deal, had to do narrow captures and not speak a word of it to anyone. (IRS warrant in that case. And if you think I'm violating the gag order, that was 11 years ago.)