nanog mailing list archives

Re: Last Week's Canadian Fiber Cut

From: Martin Hannigan <hannigan () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2017 01:32:04 -0400

On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

On Aug 15, 2017, at 1:22 PM, Rod Beck <rod.beck () unitedcablecompany com>
wrote:

Did we ever get any resolution on why this was such a big outage?
Appears there were two fiber cuts. Were the fibers damaged in the same
conduit? Is this a collapsed ring scenario?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/concerns
-about-backup-bell-outage-1.4239064

Perhaps some transatlantic fallback?  It looks like the only cable out
there is the Greenland one.. guessing that’s not very competitive?  It only
gets you to Iceland it seems.

For background on the Greenland Connect cable, the UKNOF presentation I
presented (built by Heller, Harland, and I) in 2009 is here at
http://bit.ly/GrConnect - You can get past Iceland for sure. Just not for
free.

(Honorable mentions in all of this for AMS-IX, LINX, Nick Hilliard, Andy
Davidson and Will Hargrave. Remco van Mook got the Golden Jökulhlaup for
his part).

The route was cost prohibitive as you guessed. There was reach-ability from
the EU to CA via RVK and GOH, The built paths were CPH-RVK-GOH-YHZ and
LON-RVK-GOH-YHZ. While the GOH route were most prohibitive, the RVK paths
less so. It was much cheaper to route LON to LGA via Hibernia. I like it as
a back up path. So did a few banks. But cost. Do I think this is a viable
path? Yes. Will it ever come down in cost? I'd go back to try this again.
Maybe things have changed?

Best,

-M<