nanog mailing list archives

Re: Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network after DDoS attack proves pricey

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 07:36:18 -0700

On Sunday, September 25, 2016, Jay Farrell via NANOG <nanog () nanog org>
wrote:

And of course Brian Krebs has a thing or two to say, not the least is which
to push for BCP38 (good luck with that, right?).

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/09/the-democratization-of-censorship/

Yeh, bcp38 is not a viable solution.

As long as their is one spoof capable network on the net, the problem will
not be solved. While bcp38 is a true bcp, it is not a solution. It will
not, and has not, moved the needle.

A solution is aggregating the telemetry of source IP addresses in the
botnet and assigning blame and liability to the owners of the IP addresses
/ host ASN.

The networks can then use AUP to shutdown the bot members.

As where http://openntpproject.org/ was a proactive approach, Kreb's data
can be reactive approach. And since the data is evidence of a crime, the
network operators can enforce the AUP. The attack did happen. This ip was
involved. Remediation is required.