nanog mailing list archives

Re: PlayStationNetwork blocking of CGNAT public addresses

From: Simon Lockhart <simon () slimey org>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2016 15:06:50 +0100

On Sun Sep 18, 2016 at 03:58:57PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
* Tom Beecher:
Simon's getting screwed because he's not being given any information to try
and solve the problem, and because his customers are likely blaming him
because he's their ISP.

We don't know that for sure.  Another potential issue is that the ISP
just cannot afford to notify its compromised customers, even if they
were able to detect them.

I'd like to think that we're pretty responsive to taking our users offline
when they're compromised and we're made aware of it - either through our own
tools, or through 3rd party notifications.

The process with Sony goes something like:

- User reports they can't reach PSN
- We report the Sony/PSN, they say "Yes, it's blocked because that IP attacked
  us"
- We say "Okay, that's a CGNAT public IP, can you help us identify the which
  inside user that is - (timestamp,ip,port) logs, or some way to identify the
  bad traffic so we can look for it ourselves"
- Sony say no, either through silence, or explicitly.
- We have unhappy user(s), who blame us.

Simon