nanog mailing list archives

Re: charges for prefix filter updates (was Re: Any ISPs using AS852 for IP Transit?)

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 11:48:05 -0700

On 9/15/16 11:28 AM, Ken Chase wrote:
I feel this can be a public topic:

Rogers just charged us that for an update (one update, multiple entries).
We had to go through their quotation machinery too, took like 4-5 days. Additional
time was wasted because we contacted their tech dept directly at the start. (which
is what I do for all my other upstreams...)

Kinda brutal.
Coordination problems are a point of high friction and cost for low
margin products. I generally prefer that my providers be able to
generate prefix filters on the basis of route objects, If it's not part
of their service offering; how costs are assigned for service requests
is going to be part of contract negotiions.

joel

Cogent and HE nor NAC or Yipes or Tata ever did that to us.

Nickle and diming -- why, cuz transit is a cheap commodity now, gotta make the
cash somewhere?

That said Cogent offered us a static /26 along side our BGP years ago then warned
us it'd be $50/mo or something for that # of ips going forward. We didnt need it
so dispensed with it.

/kc