nanog mailing list archives

Re: CenturyLink in Advanced Talks to Merge With Level 3 Communications - Interweb is doomed

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 00:32:18 +0000

It's funny you should mention that. I just learned that our CL traffic rides on a single lambda is a Level3 fiber.
Oddly, though, the cost to buy that same circuit directly from Level3 is twice as high.

Which bodes ill for circuit pricing in the reduced-competition environment following the merger. A similar thing
happened to us when L3 bought TWT. In both cases L3 says "but you're getting such a better network!" Alas, that turned
out to be not the case with the TWT acquisition, as merger mishaps caused numerous outages.

 -mel