nanog mailing list archives

Re: Death of the Internet, Film at 11

From: bzs () TheWorld com
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 20:52:35 -0400

On October 23, 2016 at 17:14 hannigan () gmail com (Martin Hannigan) wrote:

On Oct 23, 2016, at 16:26, bzs () TheWorld com wrote:

   I'm not sure who you mean when you say "people". My reference was to
   manufacturers of IoT devices only.

The users are not going to be able to help. You're right, it's all about the
manufacturers. If you can remove or reduce profits enough where it matters, it
will help tremendously.

I spent an hour looking through the IEEE standards RA pattern searching mac
addrs thinking about mitigation techniques and doing random lookups of the
registrants.

That's a good idea particularly in terms of not letting this stuff
out. For example one could imagine a patch to DSL, cable, and similar
last mile equipment to rate limit, perhaps flag etc, packets from
known vulnerable MAC ID ranges if they can be identified.

That'd be relatively cheap and easy.

These attacks are the canary in the coal mine in terms of what is probably
coming.

Oh yeah...that code is out there.

--
        -Barry Shein