nanog mailing list archives

Re: Death of the Internet, Film at 11

From: Victor Kuarsingh <victor () jvknet com>
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2016 10:34:50 -0400

Clinton,

On 10/23/2016 8:12 AM, clinton mielke wrote:

My question for you guys, since Im a theoretician and not a seasoned
operator: how feasible or legal is it to find telnet scanning activity or
any of these passwords in high-bandwidth netflows? If its feasible, then
this at least gets you the active scanning population of hosts, along with
the IPs of all of their victims.

If there is enough concentration of common flows from a certain set of IPs, it's quite possible to detect the scanning activity using sampled flow data if one were collecting such data. I say sampled as 1-for-1 flow data collection is not common.

You would not see packet content just using flow data.

regards,

Victor K