nanog mailing list archives

Re: nested prefixes in Internet

From: Niels Bakker <niels=nanog () bakker net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2016 19:24:45 +0200

* r.engehausen () gmail com (Roy) [Mon 10 Oct 2016, 19:19 CEST]:
I don't think I ever said that ISP-B would announce the /19. That would only be announced by ISP-A. ISP-B would only announce the /24 that has been delegated to it.

If the ISP-A/ISP-B link goes down then the /24 would be seen only via ISP-C which is the desired result.

What if ISP-A then receives traffic inside its /19 destined for ISP-B's /24? It will have to send it over transit and won't bill ISP-B for that traffic. You cannot expect 100% of the rest of the Internet to honour the more specific all the time.

        -- Niels.