nanog mailing list archives

Re: IoT security, was Krebs on Security booted off Akamai network

From: Mel Beckman <mel () beckman org>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2016 18:05:20 +0000

I don't know why it's "sub optimal" to use the cloud from an isolated network. Can you elaborate?

 -mel beckman

On Oct 9, 2016, at 10:28 AM, "Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu" <Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu> wrote:

On Sun, 09 Oct 2016 14:31:54 -0000, Mel Beckman said:

I just bought a $20 Lacrosse remote RF temperature sensor hub for home, the
GW-1000U. It does the usual IoT things: after you plug it in, it gets a DHCP
address and phones home, then you register it using a smartphone on the same
LAN, which I'm guessing finds the device via a broadcast and then configures
the hub with my Lacrosse account info. All communication is thereafter through
the cloud.

That last sentence is sub-optimal.  And as you note, things go downhill from
there....