nanog mailing list archives

Re: OSPF vs ISIS - Which do you prefer & why?

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2016 08:12:05 +0200

On 10/Nov/16 04:45, RT Parrish wrote:

1) Network Topology support - The differences between a single OSPF
backbone area and a contiguous set of Level-2 adjacencies will occasionally
be a deciding factor.

L2 IS-IS can be as chatty as single-area OSPF. That said, IS-IS has
native tools to reduce that chatter (like PRC, and iSPF), but to be
honest, I'm not sure it makes much of a difference given today's faster
router CPU's.

2) Feature Support on a per vendor basis - Some vendors will roll new
features out in one or the other protocols prior to the other.  Segment
Routing and some of its enhancements come to mind as being in ISIS first.

I've noticed that the delay between when IS-IS and/or OSPF pick up a
feature the other already has is reasonable. By the time an OSPF has
completed evaluating whether they need LFA, it would have been
implemented in the IGP.

I suppose back then, there was a much bigger between when features made
it between both protocols, but things seem to be on par nowadays.

3) Layer 2 adjacencies - I think someone already mentioned that you form
adjacencies at layer 2 which also means that with a single adj you can
support multiple protocols (v4/v6). OSPF would require two different
instances to support both. Maybe good, maybe not. Depends on your desired
level of isolation between the two.

OSPFv3 can support the advertisement of IPv4 prefixes. But you'd still
need an IPv6 link layer.

4) CPU performance is academic at this point - The SPF calculations in most
networks would require next to no difference between the two protocols even
if running both IPv4 and v6.

Agree.

End of the day, use the right tool/vendor/technology for the right job.

Agree.

Mark.