nanog mailing list archives

Re: BCP 38 coverage if top x providers ...

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 02:44:30 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jared Mauch" <jared () puck nether net>
To: "Frank Bulk" <frnkblk () iname com>
Cc: nanog () nanog org
Sent: Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:44:09 AM
Subject: Re: BCP 38 coverage if top x providers ...

On Nov 19, 2016, at 9:13 PM, Frank Bulk <frnkblk () iname com> wrote:

My google fu is failing me, but I believe there was a NANOG posting a year
or two ago that mentioned that if the top x providers would implement BCP 38
then y% of the traffic (or Internet) would be de-spoofed.  The point was
that we don't even need everyone to implement BCP 38, but if the largest
(transit?) providers did it, then UDP reflection attacks could be minimized.

If someone can recall the key words in that posting and dig it up, that
would be much appreciated.

If you assume 80% of traffic comes out of your local CDN node, that remaining
20%
may not be too difficult for you to do something with.  The problem appears
because
various engineering thresholds that existed in the 90s have been violated.

40(64) byte packet testing is no longer the norm by vendors.  Those of us who
carry
a full table and are expected to provide all the features are the minority in
purchasing equipment by volume and revenue so the push is harder.  A double
lookup
of the packet is twice as expensive and perhaps impractical in some (or many)
cases.

It was me, Frank, as I said in an offlist email your mail server a) didn't
like and b) took 4 days to complain about.  :-)

I believe I said "top 10" or "top 20" eyeball carriers, and I was shooting
from the hip, based on my apprehension of the sizes there of.  80/20 rule, as
Jared implies.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com