nanog mailing list archives

Re: ISP License in the USA?

From: "Eric Flanery (eric)" <eric () flanery us>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 11:54:38 -0700

There is no such thing as an 'ISP license' in the US. I have a hard time
imagining Texas of all places would have such a requirement.

Depending on what exactly you are doing, there are various and highly
varied requirements, such as acquiring a SPIN number for E-Rate, filing FCC
477 if you do broadband, FCC 499 if you do VoIP (CLEC and ETC also apply
there), a FRN if you do pretty much anything FCC-related, various sorts of
licenses for most radio/microwave systems (excepting part 15 stuff), CALEA,
open internet, etc...

COALS _could_ apply _if_ you are running a cable TV system that also
delivers data services, but it isn't an 'ISP thing'.

More to the point...

I wouldn't take US legal advice from any consultant not familiar with US
law, or really any non-lawyer consultant at all. I wouldn't take it from
NANOG either; while it's a tremendous technical resource, it is not your
attorney.

There are a number of telecommunications focused law firms out there, with
knowledgeable lawyers. It would be a good idea to establish a relationship
with one, if you intend to enter the increasingly complex legal minefield
of being an ISP.

--Eric