nanog mailing list archives

Re: Why the US Government has so many data centers

From: George Herbert <george.herbert () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 10:28:30 -0700

At enterprise storage costs, that much storage will cost more than the OC-12, and then add datacenter and backups.
Total could be 2-3x OC-12 annual costs.

If your org can afford to buy non-top-line storage then it would probably be cheaper to go local.

However, you should check how much of the bandwidth is actually storage.  I see multimillion dollar projects without
basic demand / needs analysis or statistics more often than not.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone