nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 is better than ipv4

From: "Jeff McAdams" <jeffm () iglou com>
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2016 16:46:50 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, June 2, 2016 15:45, Christopher Morrow wrote:
On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Jeff McAdams <jeffm () iglou com> wrote:
Yes.  I had a member of an account team for a networking vendor express
 extreme skepticism when discussing IP address plans and work I had
done. When describing why I went with an IPv6 only solution for this
setup, he responded, "Why not just get more IPv4 addresses?  Just go
back to IANA[sic] for more if you don't have enough already."

OK, maybe it's not *just* marketing, but marketing (using the term
broadly) is still a very large part of it.

​your example sounds like ignorance, not marketing.​

No doubt his response was born of ignorance.  The correct response
is...well, education, not necessarily marketing...but at the 30k foot
level, they amount to the same thing (thus my parenthetical comment about
using the term "marketing" broadly), as I think the upthread comments were
doing.

--
Jeff