nanog mailing list archives

Re: Barefoot "Tofino": 6.4 Tbps whitebox switch silicon?

From: Saku Ytti <saku () ytti fi>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:19:13 +0300

On 16 June 2016 at 06:21, Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke () gmail com> wrote:
Based on their investors, could have interesting results for much lower
cost 100GbE whitebox switches.

Why lower cost? The BOM isn't the expensive part, the code is the
expensive part. Only way I see this happening, is if we get open
source routing suite for the box, i.e. 0 cost software.

If you're thinking of writing your own routing suite, even if your
requirements are trivial, it's still probably take 2-3 years and
+2MUSD in salaries, and then maintenance +300kUSD/year in salaries.
Need quite significant annual unit number scale to make it cheap.

I'm quite fascinated by the idea of doing something really novel in
routing suite space, but I don't see how it could possibly work
commercially. How many customers would there be for licensing COTS
routing-suite when costs are millions annually to develop it for
general use-case.

--
  ++ytti