nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cloudflare, dirty networks and politricks

From: TR Shaw <tshaw () oitc com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2016 19:45:14 -0400

On Jul 28, 2016, at 7:30 PM, Donn Lasher via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

On 7/28/16, 10:17 AM, "NANOG on behalf of J. Oquendo" <nanog-bounces () nanog org on behalf of joquendo () e-fensive
net> wrote:

While many are chanting: #NetworkLivesMatter, I have yet
to see, read, or hear about any network provider being
the first to set precedence by either de-peering, or
blocking traffic from Cloudflare. There is a lot of
keyboard posturing: "I am mad and I am not going to take
it anymore" hooplah but no one is lifting a finger to
do anything other than regurgitate "I am mad... This is
criminal."

(long discussion, was waiting for a place to jump in..)

If we want to be accurate about it, Cloudflare doesn’t host the DDoS, they protect the website of seller of the
product. We shouldn’t be de-peering Cloud Flare over sites they protect any more than we would de-peer GoDaddy over
sites they host, some of which, no doubt, sell gray/black market/illegal items/services.

If, on the other hand,  you can find a specific network actually generating the volumes of DDoS, you should have a
conversation about de-peering….

$0.02…

It would be nice however if Cloudflare would announce there “freebie” ciders and the IP block that host their paying
customers. Most of the abuse centers on the free clients.