nanog mailing list archives

Re: number of characters in a domain?

From: Jimmy Hess <mysidia () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2016 10:07:52 -0500

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 7:31 AM, Ryan Finnesey <ryan () finnesey com> wrote:
I was hoping someone can help me confirm my research.  I am correct that domains are now limited to 67 characters in
length including the extension?

RFC1035;  A hostname / FQDN cannot exceed 255 octets in totality.
This includes all the label-length fields,  therefore, the limit
on total human-readable FQDN string is less.

(Subtract 1 Octets initially,  then subtract more octets for every
DNS Path component added,  including the Null label at the End of every FQDN.)

In addition, the string component of each DNS label is limited to 63 octets.

--
-JH