nanog mailing list archives

Re: akamai abnormal spike

From: joel jaeggli <joelja () bogus com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2016 09:16:42 +0200

On 7/18/16 4:57 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
Several of my WISP colleagues have noticed this behavior (CDN sending
way more traffic than the customer's pipe can handle) from (I
believe) multiple CDNs. Not sure if it is intention on behalf of the
CDN or an error, but it has been on-going for several months if not
years.

It's not a healthy tcp flow if the number of packets associated with the
flow stays well in excess of the link capacity for a while... if you
have recourse to to l4 header flags you might find that it was an ack
flood or repeated retramission of the same PDUs. Either way someones
state machine has a bug.

joel

----- Mike Hammett Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com