nanog mailing list archives

RE: Peering Exchange

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 14:12:13 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Nick Ellermann wrote:

Colton,

We are a member on the Equinix IX. Maybe best for you to speak to an Equinix SE on the topic, but there are two main connection methods. In laymen's terms you can be a member on the switch and then build peering relationships within any other network that will have you. Meaning, you reach out to them or they reach out to you via their contacts in PeeringDB and setup a typical BGP session but usually only exchanging private routes. Therefore you are are not providing transit to the other.

The other option Equinix offers is their MLPE (Multi-Lateral Peering Exchange). Essentially from what we understand you peer once to Equinix's router and all other participants and you are able to exchange traffic. It's not an all or none, you can use filtering to exclude specific ASNs. We are not a member of this service today.

It's reasonably common to do both, since not everyone on the IX will peer with or advertise all their peering routes to the route-servers. Peering with the route servers (what Equinix calls MPLE) is a good way to "jump start" your use of the IX by immediately getting at least a degree of peering with multiple networks established without the coordination and config needed to peer with each network individually.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route