nanog mailing list archives

Re: Another Big day for IPv6 - 10% native penetration

From: Jon Lewis <jlewis () lewis org>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2016 11:21:14 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 4 Jan 2016, Ca By wrote:

Given the recent doubling growth, and assuming this trend is following a
logistic function, then, rounding the numbers a bit for neatness, I get:

Jan 2016: 10%
Jan 2017: 20%
Jan 2018: 33%
Jan 2019: 50%
Jan 2020: 67%
Jan 2021: 80%
Jan 2022: 90%

with IPv4 traffic then halving year by year from then on, and IPv4
switch-off (ie. traffic < 1%) around 2027.

Neil

Just a reminder, that 10% is a global number.

The number in the USA is 25% today in general, is 37% for mobile devices.

Furthermore, forecasting is a dark art that frequently simply extends the
past onto the future.  It does not account for purposeful engineering
design like the "world IPv6 launch" or iOS updates.

Add to that the fact that as we run closer to (or further into?) run-out, at some point there's likely to be a rapid acceleration in v6 provisioning as networks finally realize that they can't reasonably get any more v4 space or their end-user customers finally begin to demand v6.

If Brighthouse has people on-list...you're embarrassingly late to this party...and its time to start calling out end-user providers that still don't even offer v6.

 Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route