nanog mailing list archives

Re: Standard terminology for a dark fiber path?

From: Larry Sheldon <larrysheldon () cox net>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 00:02:35 -0600

On 2/24/2016 14:55, Fletcher Kittredge wrote:
What is the standard terminology for strands of dark fiber spliced together
to form a continuous path between points A and Z?

I have seen:

    - *fiber circuit* [but also seen used to denote a connection at the
    network layer over a physical fiber connection. This definition of circuit
    would include the dark fiber path, the transmitters and receivers and logic
    making up the data and network layers.]
    - *fiber loop *[ Does a loop define an electrical circuit with two
    physically separate positive and negative strands? In that case, is this a
    Bellhead remnant? ]

I am particularly interested in last mile systems, but I don't see any
reason that the term wouldn't be the same in the middle mile.

What do you call it if it is made out of copper instead of glass?  Or air?

I don't see anything wrong with "fiber path".

(Answering my own question, maybe: "dry pair from A to B". "[Microwave] Radio link between A and B.")

--
sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes? (Juvenal)