nanog mailing list archives

Re: Advertising rented IPv4 prefix from a different ASN.

From: David Bass <davidbass570 () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 10:10:41 -0400

On Aug 5, 2016, at 9:52 AM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu> wrote:

On 5/Aug/16 15:40, Soon Keat Neo wrote:

If you are just announcing more specific address space that you've obtained
legitimately off their assigned address space, it should be no problem,
just obtain an LoA and register it on the different databases and you
should be set to ask your upstreams to allow the announcements.

Do people actually do this? A customer asked us to do this for them and
we refused, because inconsistent AS has never been a thing.

I'm apprehensive about a subnet and its aggregate appearing from
multiple AS's at the same time. But, I'm old school, so...

Mark.

I agree with you...not a great practice.  Each AS should just announce the prefix that they actually use.  The school
could be used as a transit for the ISP, which may be undesirable.