nanog mailing list archives

Re: how to deal with port scan and brute force attack from AS 8075 ?

From: Brandon Vincent <Brandon.Vincent () asu edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2016 20:54:01 -0700

On Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 4:41 AM, DV <iamzam () gmail com> wrote:
I have noticed this and especially the strange format of the packets with a
SYN/ECE/CWR flag combination: http://pastebin.com/jFCDAmdr

This may be $whoever trying to establish network performance/congestion via
ECN or it could be something else like a fast scan technique or OS
fingerprinting

It's OS fingerprinting. Targeted attacks are far more productive. If
I'm trying to get into an organization, I'd much rather be interested
in Juniper ScreenOS than someone's personal *nix machine.

Brandon Vincent