nanog mailing list archives

Re: Arista Routing Solutions

From: Ryan Woolley <rwoolleynanog () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 22:21:13 -0400

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 1:33 AM, lincoln dale <ltd () interlink com au> wrote:

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Peter Kranz <pkranz () unwiredltd com>
wrote:

        Curious if you have any thoughts on the longevity of the 7500R
and 7280R survival's with IPv4 full tables? How full are you seeing the
TCAM getting today (I'm assuming they are doing some form of selective
download)? And if we are currently adding 100k/routes a year, how much
longer will it last?

[...]

One could ask Geoff Huston where he thinks combined IPv4+v6 will exceed 1M
entries but I would expect it to be many years away based on
http://bgp.potaroo.net/ and we'd welcome discussions about if it you want
to know our opinion [*] on how we're doing it will scale.  What we're doing
doesn't explode at 1M, there's headroom in it hence why we say "1M+". Again
we're happy to talk about it, just ask your friendly arista person and if
you don't know who to ask, ask me and i'll put you in touch with the right
folks.

Peter, I'd point you to https://labs.apnic.net/?p=767 for more historical
detail and a table with some (recent) predictions.  The summary is that the
rate is mostly linear at around 10% per year and even 1MM routes lasts
quite comfortably beyond 5 years at the current growth rate.  I am not
particularly worried about the table growth rate (or Moore's law) changing
dramatically.

With respect to the utilization of the hardware, our setup is basically the
same as Lincoln's scenario #1 and so utilization looks about the same, on
both platforms.