nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 prefix from T-Mobile USA used but not announced in BGP (2607:7700::/32)

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2016 13:58:39 -0700

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016, Aaron Hopkins <lists () die net> wrote:

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016, Baptiste Jonglez wrote:

While doing statistics on the participants of a public DHT, I was
surprised to see some IP addresses that are not present in the DFZ:

I believe those are used by T-mobile's 464XLAT (RFC 6877) implementation.

Recent Android on T-mobile is IPv6-only and has no ability to connect to
raw IPv4 addresses.  T-mobile's DNS servers are only asked by these devices
to translate hostnames to IPv6 addresses.  If they can't find an IPv6
address, they will look up the IPv4 address for a hostname, and pack it
into
the bottom 32 bits of an IPv6 address that routes to a IPv6-to-IPv4 NAT
device.

2607:7700:0:25::4e00:605b

4e00:605b -> 78.0.96.91

                                    -- Aaron

Apple has also required the ability for ipv6-only operations

 https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=08282015a