nanog mailing list archives

Re: What services does Microsoft AS8075 provide when peering at IXPs?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 19:04:14 -0400

On Fri, 01 Apr 2016 18:02:56 -0000, Eric A Louie via NANOG said:
I suppose we have a customer who is an Azure customer that wants to know if
their Azure traffic will stay in our network or still go through the Internet.

As a practical matter, if they're using the answer for a security baseline,
they're doing it wrong - they should be planning that based on the assumption
that their traffic *will* ride the rails of the commodity Internet (due to
outages or whatever).

Similarly, if they're looking at it for performance/latency, they need to
fix their assumptions - your direct peering can be slow and congested, while
there's actually a longer but faster path through someplace else....