nanog mailing list archives

Re: phone fun, was GeoIP database issues and the real world consequences

From: Mark Andrews <marka () isc org>
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 07:21:38 +1000

In message <B29E85C0-81A5-4BDB-B821-9393EF5A85BB () yahoo com>, David Barak writes
:
On Apr 15, 2016, at 3:09 PM, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

Australia is about the area as the US and has always had caller
pays and seperate area codes for mobiles.

Australia has fewer people than Texas, and is more than an order of
magnitude smaller than the US by population.  Effects of scale apply here
in terms of path dependence for solutions.

David Barak
Sent from mobile device, please excuse autocorrection artifacts

NA has a 10 digit scheme (3 area code - 7 local) though most of the
time you end up dialing the 10 digits.

Australia has a 9 digit scheme (1 area code - 8 local)

Yes the area codes are huge (multi-state) and some "local" calls
are sometimes long distance.  In my lifetime local calls have gone
from 6 digits to 7 and then 8 digits.  The last change got rid of
lots of area codes and expanded all the local numbers to 8 digits.
This allows you to use what was a Canberra number in Sydney as they
are now all in the same area code.  Canberra and Sydney are a 3
hour drive apart.

We are no longer in a age where we need to route calls on a digit
by digit basis.

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org