nanog mailing list archives

Re: GeoIP information

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2015 21:24:34 -0400

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 9:12 PM, Ian Clark <ian.clark () dreamhost com> wrote:
On Sep 24, 2015 5:54 PM, "Ray Van Dolson" <rvandolson () esri com> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 08:47:56PM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 7:29 PM, Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () arbor net>
wrote:
On 25 Sep 2015, at 5:58, Ian Clark wrote:
Any advice would be awesome!
There is no inherent correlation between IP addressing and
geopolitical
boundaries.

Maxmind does not concur.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

I've recently SWIP'd some IP space to see if Maxmind would pick up the
new location.  48 hours later it hasn't (just via their free, web-based
query tool).  Perhaps I need to be more patient.

We did the same thing about a week ago, including a correction request with
maxmind to no avail, hence this thread. I have a feeling our patience won't
be rewarded...

Maxmind would have to violate ARIN's rules to collect your geoip
information through a feed of whois data. Those rules forbid
republication of the data.

Try contacting them directly. Then download the files they publish and
check for yourself.

https://support.maxmind.com/geoip-data-correction-request/
http://dev.maxmind.com/geoip/legacy/geolite/

When you've done these things and still haven't gotten satisfaction,
perhaps then it's time to return here for a session of Name and Shame.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us