nanog mailing list archives

Re: Ear protection

From: Bryan Holloway <bholloway () pavlovmedia com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 13:48:06 +0000

On 9/23/15, 7:53 AM, "NANOG on behalf of Joe Greco"
<nanog-bounces () nanog org on behalf of jgreco () ns sol net> wrote:

Maybe I've always listened to my music to loud and spend the bulk of
time
via ssh, but I've never felt a need for hearing protection in a DC, is
this
generally an issue for people?

Depends on how long and how noisy.

As I've gotten older, I find loud noise in general is less tolerable,
so I've taken to always keeping a pair of earplugs with me.  It makes
being around loud music, etc., much more enjoyable.

Long term exposure to noise is widely considered to be a hazard, but
walking into an average data center for an hour once a month is
probably not that risky.

... JG

Depends on the type of "noise" too.

Datacenters generate (more or less) white noise, which is particularly
harmful long-term to the cilia in your ears because it excites all of them
all of the time. A loud datacenter is much worse than a loud rock band,
IMO.

I personally use Bose noise-canceling headphones.