nanog mailing list archives

Re: Synful Knock questions...

From: Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2015 17:06:53 -0500

I always perform the md5 and/or SHA verification of images on flash against the Cisco website. This is mainly to ensure a good transfer from TFTP. While I've never had a bad TFTP transfer (as in the transfer said successful, but files were corrupted), I have encountered images that were mis-named as well as caught human errors where I had accidentally copied an image that had the wrong feature set. The verification helps prevent these oversights.

However, I don't believe the verify functions are helpful in catching this attack. Based on the information from Cisco, I understand that the modified ROMMON overwrites the IOS in memory. Thus the file on flash will not be modified and will appear normal. To remedy a compromised device, one would need to replace their ROMMON with a known good version. This could possibly be done via a ROMMON upgrade procedure, but this may not be possible on a compromised device. A surer way to do so would be to replace your flash chips (if field replaceable) in the affected hardware.

--Blake