nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGAN Optimized Laptops

From: Eric Tykwinski <eric-list () truenet com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 23:50:45 -0400

Matt’s totally correct on the browser requesting the info, so it’s up to the client to decide what to download even
obfuscated javascript links.
My question would be how far can compression take you for something like Opera which does some compression in browser
with a caching server?  I figure a lot of websites are probably using more uncompressed formats like PNG, which can
probably be compressed a bit more, but it’s still like taking a tar ball.  If  a server in sending gzip’d text and the
browser/cache are compressing that how much more can be gained?  Compression of compression with even more compression
to me is probably more like a downward spiral.