nanog mailing list archives

Re: How to force rapid ipv6 adoption

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 03:45:33 -0400

On Fri, 02 Oct 2015 00:16:50 -0000, Todd Underwood said:

yes.  huh.  funny about that, right?  what do you think accounts for that?
 *why* do you think that *17* *years* later people are still just barely
using this thing.

The fact that dumping too much CO2 into the atmosphere is a Bad Idea
was equally well understood 17 years ago.

And yet we *still* have Senators with snowballs denying it.

so here's my view:  if you have some technical solution for a networking
problem that no one wants for 17 years, you should really probably think
about that.  you might not even have to wait 17 years to figure out that
something might be wrong.

See RFC1335.  The problem was recognized back in 1992 - which is why the
IETF chartered the whole IPng thing.  Some of us recognized it would be
less painful to get things working sooner rather than later - and some
didn't.

Now, if you want to be the Senator with the snowball, be my guest. It
may make for interesting TV, but I can hardly recommend it as a busines
model.