nanog mailing list archives

RE: GPON Optical Levels

From: "Jameson, Daniel" <Daniel.Jameson () tdstelecom com>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 16:25:38 +0000

A good general rule of thumb for optics is +-4.  Try to stay 4 db off the bottom,  and 4db off the top.   The
sweet-spot RSL is  between 1/2 and 2/3 of the optical budget.  For PON,  typical OLT/ONT optics run Receive Max of -8,
and Min of -27 with an optical de-assert at -31.  The sweet-spot is between -17 and -20,  with a min/max of -12 to -23.

A typical PON system will have a TX power between +3 and +5,  with a 32 way split, add 15dB of insertion loss.  You
should see -12 on the output of the first splitter (less the optical loss of the fiber between the OLT and the Splitter
est .3/km)

There should never be a need to attenuate a PON port unless you're working directly on the OLT (You should work through
a splitter even directly in the CO/HE)