nanog mailing list archives

Re: spam smackdown?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 15:10:47 -0400

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 3:03 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore <patrick () ianai net> wrote:
3) Anyone who feels this is so frickin’ bad it is unbearable, and
knows they could do SO MUCH BETTER themselves, should
volunteer for the Communications Committee. Otherwise,
everyone should thank the unpaid volunteers for their gracious
and excellent work day after day, year after year. Or just STFU.

Yes, yes, the volunteers are all wonderful people and can I get a
hip-hip-hooray. Nevertheless, before I "STFU" I would politely suggest
that volunteering to perform a function for which one is not prepared
to put in the needed effort is generally worse than not volunteering
at all. Volunteering blocks other would-be volunteers for the same
effort. Even if there are no other volunteers, it prevents the
function from being farmed out to a paid service with the appropriate
diligence and expertise.

I would urge the current volunteers to careful consider whether
they're willing and able to put in the exceptional effort and
commitment of time and availability needed to competently operate a
mailing list server on today's Internet. Failing to halt a spam flood
in a timely manner does not exhibit a reasonable level of commitment
to the task.

One simply can't walk away from a mail server for a couple of days any
more. Even volunteer efforts require the kind of monitoring and
on-call rotations we all use in our professional lives.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us