nanog mailing list archives

Re: improved NANOG filtering

From: Blake Dunlap <ikiris () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2015 14:29:38 -0700

Please stop using this as an opportunity to spam your commercial
anti-spam list.... ffs

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Rob McEwen <rob () invaluement com> wrote:
On 10/26/2015 12:06 PM, Job Snijders wrote:

I expect some protection mechanisms will be implemented,
rather sooner then later, to prevent this style of incident from
happening again.

Job,

I can't tell for sure if you're a NANOG admin? Or if you're making educated
guesses about what you think that NANOG will do?

If you really are a NANOG admin, I suggest adding some kind of URI filtering
for blocking the message based on the the domains/IPs found in the clickable
links in the body of the message.

Here are 4 such lists:
SURBL
URIBL
invaluement URI
SpamHaus' DBL list

(all very, very good!)

My own invaluementURI list did particularly well on this set of (mostly
hijacked) spammy domains, possibly listing ALL of them! I spot checked about
40 of them and couldn't find a single one that wasn't already listed on
ivmURI at the time of the sending. But then I discovered that my sample set
wasn't truly random. So I can't say for sure, but it looks like ivmURI had
the highest hit rate, possibly by a wide margin. (I wish I had meticulously
collected ALL of them and checked ALL of them at the time they were
received!) Since then, more of these are now listed on the other URI/domain
blacklists. (but that doesn't mean as much if they weren't listed at the
time the spam was sent!)

Nevertheless, going forward, I recommend checking these at
multirbl.valli.org (or mxtoolbox) to see *which* domain blacklist(s) would
have blocked the spam at the time of the sending... to get an idea of which
blacklists are best for blocking this very sneaky series of spams.

PS - I'd be happy to provide complementary access to invaluement data to
NANOG, if so desired.

--
Rob McEwen