nanog mailing list archives

Re: OT: BdNOG announces website blocks

From: Matthew Petach <mpetach () netflight com>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2015 09:15:28 -0800

Md. abdullah Al naser mail.naserbd at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 18 12:56:15 BDT 2015

The service of Facebook, Viber and Whatsapp are
blocked from now till further notice. It has been
ordered by Begum Tarana Halim, State Minister, Post
and Telecommunications.

It occurs to me this is a very pro-competition
on the part of the government.  By blocking the
major incumbent messaging apps, it opens up
the marketplace for newer, younger startups
to gain marketshare.  Kudos to the State Minister
for such a forward-thinking and pro-competitive-market
strategy!

Matt
(not sure if my tongue should be in my cheek or
not, actually...)