nanog mailing list archives

Re: bad announcement taxonomy

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2015 09:40:27 -0500

On Wed, Nov 18, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Mattia Rossi
<mattia.rossi.mailinglists () gmail com> wrote:
So probably it should be structured like this:

              _________ leak
            /
hijack ----------------- mis-origination (which should be better described
as: I originate P when I don't have the right to)
           \__________ origin scrubbing (I like that)

It's a hijack (the result)  in any case. If you want to differentiate
between malice and stupidity/ignorance just call it "malicious hijack"
opposed to  "accidental hijack". And then list the cause (leak,
mis-origination, origin scrubbing)

Hi Mat,

I object to jargon on general principle. Excessive jargon makes
technical disciplines needlessly inaccessible to folks who aren't
steeped in the lore.

Now and then there's a concept of such routine utility within the
discipline that it's worth abbreviating into a word or short phrase.
In that case, words that imply the concept are a good choice. Route
Hijack is a good example of this.

Creating jargon down in the weeds, though, that's a bad thing. Unwise.
Something to be deliberately avoided.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us