nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alcatel-Lucent 7750 Service Router (SR)

From: Tim Franklin <tim () pelican org>
Date: Thu, 7 May 2015 18:02:02 +0100 (BST)

It really bothers me to see that people in this industry are so worried about
a change of syntax or terminology. If there's one thing about the big
vendors that bothers me, it's that these batteries of vendor specific tests
have allowed many "techs" to get lazy. They simply can't seem to operate
well, if at all, in a non-Cisco (primarily) environment.

I'd half-agree :)

Making "it's different" in and of itself a reason not to use a particular vendor does seem to head towards laziness.

But with the best will in the world, your good engineers *will* be slower until they familiarise with the new mind-maps
(particularly things like the logical/physical split, SAPs, etc on the ALU) and the new magic words - although
hopefully they'll be excited to learn something new too.  Your weaker engineers are going to need more of a push and/or
some help, and the further towards helpdesk and scripts you get, the more you're going to need to provide training - be
that internal, external, new scripts and cribs sheets or whatever.  That's an impact and cost it's unwise to ignore.

Regards,
Tim.