nanog mailing list archives

Re: Measuring DNS Performance & Graphing Logs

From: "Joe Abley" <jabley () hopcount ca>
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 08:13:28 -0400

Hi Zayed,

I think you're more likely to get good answers to your BIND-specific questions on the bind-users mailing list. See:

BIND9 has the capability to produce a vast variety and volume of logs, and dealing with logs in general is something that there are solutions for. Maybe look at logstash/elasticsearch as a starting point. Other BIND9 users on the bind-users list will no doubt have advice about what types logs they think are important.

Recent releases of BIND9 can export a variety of statistics in XML and JSON formats using HTTP. Pulling those out and sending them to cacti/graphite/whatever is also a fairly non-DNS-specific problem to have.

Advice for tuning a BIND9 recursive resolver's cache can be found in a tech note published by ISC; if that's not especially relevant to modern releases (I seem to think it was published some time ago) you could again look to the bind-users list for advice. For authority-only servers, your main concern is whether you have enough RAM to hold all your zone data. If you do, and if your server was built this decade and has no hardware faults, chances are you're good.

Deciding whether your servers struggling to keep up with the load of the software you're running on it is another problem that is not specific to the DNS. Check with whoever provides your operating system for advice; look in to system statistics collection using things like collectd and publish somewhere you can record data and identify long-term trends so you know what looks normal (since until you know what normal looks like, you can't tell what a problem looks like).

You can use commercial services like catchpoint and thousandeyes to check that your authoritative nameservers are suitably responsive. You can use non-commercial services like Atlas to do the same thing.

If you've connected your nameservers to the network in such a way that there's a stateful firewall between the server and its clients, the report to your boss could be very brief and accurate; something like "service expected to fail at any time; explosion imminent" would do it.

Joe