nanog mailing list archives

Re: Network Segmentation Approaches

From: Gene LeDuc <gleduc () mail sdsu edu>
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 16:58:19 -0700

On 5/5/2015 4:34 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
In message <20150505113445.GB24399 () gsp org>, Rich Kulawiec writes:
I break them up by function and (when necessary) by the topology
enforced by geography.  The first rule in every firewall is of
course "deny all" and subsequent rulesets permit only the traffic
that is necessary.

Deny all really isn't needed with modern machines but that is a matter of
policy.

The firewalls I've worked with don't log denies if they are due to an implicit deny-all at the end of the policy. I always put one in at the end to make sure that the attempt is logged.

Gene