nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARO Security

From: Eric Oosting <eric.oosting () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 15:59:49 -0400

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 12:30 PM, Nicholas Schmidt <
nicholas.schmidt () controlgroup com> wrote:

I cant find a way to reach out to whoever manages ARO directly so I figure
it would be best to publish this to the list.

Nicholas,

It's normally a good idea to email any questions you have to
nanog-support () nanog org. They should always get you an answer or point you
in the correct direction.

We are a group of network operators who are failing at enforcing extremely
basic security in our own applications.

1.) Retrieving an ARO password sends a plain text email of your current
password. Im sure this is minor as its just ARO and none of us would ever
re-use a password in more critical systems.

This is a known problem and I assure you NANOG is working with their vendor
to address it.

2.) The SSL cert for secretariat.nanog.org is invalid. It looks to be
trying to use the wildcard for amsl.com

I'm curious what is going on, but I wonder if it doesn't have something to
do with the openssl command you've entered below.

When using firefox, chrome, or safari from my laptop and internet explorer
from within a VM, I'm being offered the *.nanog.org wildcard cert, not an
amsl.com cert. I checked a popular online ssl certificate checker and
similarly received the proper certificate.

Are you receiving a certificate error of some type in your browser? If so,
let's take the conversation off of nanog to spare the list.

-e

$ openssl s_client -showcerts -connect secretariat.nanog.org:443

CONNECTED(00000003)

depth=0 /OU=Domain Control Validated/CN=*.amsl.com

verify error:num=20:unable to get local issuer certificate

verify return:1

depth=0 /OU=Domain Control Validated/CN=*.amsl.com

verify error:num=27:certificate not trusted

verify return:1

depth=0 /OU=Domain Control Validated/CN=*.amsl.com

verify error:num=21:unable to verify the first certificate

verify return:1

---

Certificate chain

 0 s:/OU=Domain Control Validated/CN=*.amsl.com

   i:/C=US/ST=Arizona/L=Scottsdale/O=Starfield Technologies, Inc./OU=
http://certs.starfieldtech.com/repository//CN=Starfield Secure Certificate
Authority - G2