nanog mailing list archives

Re: Friday Fun: UK Government (Dept of Work & Pensions) selling off an entire "/8"

From: Alec Muffett <alec.muffett () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 20:56:48 +0000

Colour me surprised that so many people are talking about the marketing
schtick (or: "woe betide the seller for unspecified reasons") - and not the
opportunity... but so be it.

Digging around on the web I've found:

http://blog.jgc.org/2012/09/the-uk-has-entire-unused-ipv4-8-that-is.html

...which suggests that it's 51.0.0.0/8 that is up for grabs. I remember a
few years ago there being a bunch of "countdown to doomsday"-type blogposts
and articles re: the underadoption of IPv6 and the expected fatal pressure
on the declining resource of IPv4; now I'm seeing a lot of 6 in mobile,
loads of NAT, and folk seem far less petrified of the future?

    -a

On 13 March 2015 at 20:23, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>