nanog mailing list archives

Re: AWS Elastic IP architecture

From: Ca By <cb.list6 () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 18:02:09 -0700

On Monday, June 1, 2015, Mark Andrews <marka () isc org> wrote:

In message <CAL9jLaYXCdfViHbUPx-=
rs4vSx5mFECpfuE8b7VQ+Au2hCXpMQ () mail gmail com <javascript:;>>
, Christopher Morrow writes:
So... I don't really see any of the above arguments for v6 in a vm
setup to really hold water in the short term at least.  I think for
sure you'll want v6 for public services 'soon' (arguably like 10 yrs
ago so you'd get practice and operational experience and ...) but for
the rest sure it's 'nice', and 'cute', but really not required for
operations (unless you have v6 only customers)

Everyone has effectively IPv6-only customers today.  IPv6 native +
CGN only works for services.  Similarly DS-Lite and 464XLAT.
Sometimes you can get away w/o IPv6, sometimes you can't.  In all
cases IPv4 is getting more and more expensive to support as more
customers share public IP addresses even if it is just have to
re-tune rate limits to account for the sharing.

Agreed. Here is some data.

It's worth noting that the Samsung Galaxy S6 launched with IPv6 on by
default at AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile.

And the majority of the T-Mobile at Verizon customer base is on IPv6, so
IPv4 is the minority right now in mobile. Oh, and when i say ipv4 is the
minority i mean NAT44.

Proper public ipv4 is not even on the mobile radar, but ipv6 is

http://www.worldipv6launch.org/measurements/

CB

Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka () isc org