nanog mailing list archives

Re: BGP Multihoming 2 providers full or partial?

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 17:19:05 -0400

On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Blake Hudson <blake () ispn net> wrote:
After studying failure modes and attempting to optimize BGP using partial
routing tables, I am of the opinion that BGP with a full routing table to
directly connected devices is by far the best way to gain the availability
benefits of BGP. Many attempts to cost save through multi-hop BGP or traffic
engineering end up breaking down when a fault occurs. Some faults, like link
state, are easy to detect and work around. Other faults, like where a peer
is up, but has no outside connectivity, are harder to detect if you're
taking anything less than full routes.

Hi Blake,

Yes, it's better to take full routes. But taking a default from two
ISPs still has a reliability advantage over using a single ISP. And of
course if you have two connections to the same ISP there's limited in
taking full routes.

Between default routes and full routes there is a range of options
with increasing reliability. For example, years ago I had routers with
a 256k TCAM as the BGP table approached 256k. The organization I
worked for was US-centric. We needed world connectivity, but high
reliability to Asia or Europe was not essential. And a large cash
expenditure that year would have been bad. By slaving the APNIC /8's
to a single accepted BGP route, backed by static routes for those /8's
should the master BGP route fail, I maintained full connectivity while
suppressing the route count to what the hardware could handle. And of
course maintained maximum reliability to the destination region I most
cared about.

Moral of the story: if you can afford it, always take full routes. If
you can't afford it, try to. If you really can't afford it, there's
some trickery that can last you a year or two until you can afford it,
but make sure new hardware makes it into your budget.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin ................ herrin () dirtside com  bill () herrin us